|Home | Audio Magazine | Stereo Review magazine | Good Sound | Troubleshooting
Departments | Features | ADs | Equipment | Music/Recordings | History
1) The El Sound Levels speaker stands are designed to keep loud speakers off the floor for better acoustic projection while, at the same time, enhancing the decor of the household. Constructed of mountain pine, the stands are strong enough to hold any size speaker and can be custom tilted for the best sound in any listening environment.
2) The Fried Model Q loudspeaker system is a two-way bookshelf speaker, weighing 23 lbs. and features an eight-in. woofer and a one-in. dome tweeter in a line tunnel enclosure. With a frequency response of 40 Hz to 20 kHz and the crossover at 2.5 kHz, these speakers have a walnut vinyl finish, weigh 23 lbs., measure 12x10x20 in., and are designed for use in small areas where true reproduction of the sound is of paramount importance.
3) The Sony PS-X6 is a d.c. servo, direct-drive, single-play turntable with high torque for quick start-up and constant speed accuracy. The unit has an acoustically dead cabinet to prevent acoustic feedback from the speakers, and vibration is also lowered through use of thick rubber matting and a heavy aluminum platter. In addition, viscous filled rubber feet prevent vibration from coming up through the base of the turntable.
4) The Toshiba PC3060 cassette deck has FM Dolby with separate bias and equalization settings for both nor mal and chrome cassettes. The frequency response with chrome tape is from 40 Hz to 15 kHz. The deck features a timer for setting either recording or playing automatically and full auto stop when the tape has finished playing. The unit weighs 10 1/2 lbs. and measures 16x12x5 1/4 inches.
5) The Pioneer C-21 preamp has very low distortion and is designed for use with all better quality components. Weighing 14 lbs., this compact unit measures 16 ½ x 3 ¼ x 14 inches. The rated THD is 0.005 per cent, and the frequency response is from 10 Hz to 100 kHz.
6) The Marantz 2500 receiver is the world's most powerful receiver with 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms with no more than 0.05 per cent THD. The amplifier section features two in dependent power supply sections, plus full complimentary-symmetry direct coupled output. There is also a built-in oscilloscope for precise signal display. Also featured is an 18-dB-per-octave, 15-Hz subsonic Butterworth low filter. An optional plug-in Dolby FM noise reduction system to provide the best possible FM reception is optional.
7) The Bib tape head maintenance kit is designed to reduce the loss of quality due to dirty tape heads, plus poor quality reproduction due to wow and flutter which may be caused by the capstan and/or roller becoming coated with oxide so that it becomes slippery. The kit includes all the necessary tools, including an angled mirror, needed lo perform a professional job on your cassette deck.
8) The Analog Engineering Model 515 moving-coil cartridge preamplifier has a frequency response from 10 Hz to 30 kHz,±0.5 dB re RIAA, and is constructed of the highest quality components, secured in an all modular, sealed epoxy design. These units are designed for heavy use in the home system and will give long years of ser vice when properly maintained.
9) Revox B-77 reel-to-reel stereo tape recorder is the latest in the long line of Studer-Revox tape machines. This new high-end machine features full electronic logic control of tape motion without levers or relays, plus the nicety of 24 dB of headroom in both record and play, more than any other deck available to the audiophile. At 7 1/2 ips the frequency response is 30 Hz to 20 kHz, +2,-3 dB. Housed in a high-impact polypropylene portable case, the unit weighs 38 lbs.
10) Robins stylus microscope is a miniature hand-held magnifier for examining styli for wear, dirt, and flaked off pieces of record vinyl. With this miniature scope, one can immediately see whether it is time to either clean or replace the phono cartridge stylus to prevent damage to valuable records.
11) Bonus-Wik is a solder removing agent to clean up errors before re-soldering. This replaces the older bulb method of removing old solder from joints, and is quick and easy to use. The hot soldering iron is applied to the braided metallic strip which instantly cleans away all the old solder by capillary action. This is, a real boon to the audio hobbyist.
12) 3M cassette editing kit is for the editing and repair of cassette tapes. Incorporated into the design is a precision splicing block for holding, cutting, and joining tapes, plus a convenient hex-shaped spindle for manually winding the cassette tape. Also included are adhesive-tipped polyester picks for retrieving tape ends lost inside the cassette and splicing tabs for joining the tape ends.
13) Decca record cleaner is a highly effective remover of dust and static from records. The cleaning brush, containing over 20,000 individual bristles, is designed to reach the bottom of the record groove and clean out all the dust and accumulated grit. The kit consists of a sweep arm with a brush at one end and a counterweight at the other end, a plug, lead, crocodile clip, screws, washer and nut, and a small cleaning pad for the brush.
14) Metrosound stylus balance is for the alignment and balance of the turn table tonearm. Through use of the kit you are able to set the tracking force range and adjust the anti-skating force to within 0.25 gram. The unit permits precision adjustment of the tracking force to insure long stylus and record life.
15) The dbx 3BX three-band dynamic range expander can expand the dynamic range up to 1.5 times to truly restore the natural dynamic range which many times is lost in the recording process. The dynamic range ex pander can eliminate the compression and limiting used when the original music was recorded onto either disc or tape, hence the natural dynamic range of the music is restored.
16) The Technics SE-9060 is a 110-watt amplifier with a constant current and constant voltage power supply for minimum transient modulation distortion and transient crosstalk. Adaptable for rack mounting, the amp features a variable damping factor and fast response power meters. This basic amp has a frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 kHz and a rated THD of 0.08 per cent.
17) The Sherwood Micro/CPU 100 tuner is a high quality unit which has been classified in tests as " ... probably the world's greatest FM tuner! The 'probably' qualifier is used simply be cause we know that many of the test measurements we tried to make were limited by the capabilities of our test equipment." Featuring digital tuning and a memory button to recall both the station call letters and the exact location on the FM dial, the unit can store up to 48 different stations to be recalled instantly upon pushing a but ton.
18) The Zerostat is an anti-static gun which de-ionizes the surface of the record to keep dust from adhering to it. The gun, looking like something from one of the "Flash Gordon" or "Buck Rogers" comic strips of the 40s, operates with a pull-and-release action. You pull the trigger slowly and then release it so that both the negative and positive static charges are neutralized. This is very effective for records and all plastic surfaces which have a tendency to retain static charges.
(adapted from Audio magazine, Dec. 1977)
= = = =